These pages are dedicated to the dissemination of materials of value to parents and educators interested in improving the quality of education in America and throughout the English speaking world. I have published PDF files of valuable books from the past. There are select links to web sites and articles that I judge as being particularly valuable.
Below is my third grade picture. The lady on the right is my first grade teacher, Mrs. Pearl Monroe. She taught my dad for seven years in a one room school house. He skipped the 5th grade. She taught me in first grade and second.
When I went to school there were two classes in each room. Mrs. Monroe taught me phonics, which explains why I have always loved to read. She read us wonderful books like Bears of Blue River and Uncle Tom Andy Bill by Charles Majors. She taught me to write cursive in first grade, which is all I ever used until I became a teacher. Everyday in her class was fun, as her former students can all testify. She passed away in the middle of my second grade year. Her students continue to call her blessed for she blessed our lives with gift of the love of learning. My uncle Albert Potter taught me in seventh grade and was the principal of our little country school.
Simply follow the links in the Topic Box at the top of the page for your educational topic of interest. Each topic seeks to be as comprehensive and helpful as I can make it.
My www.blendphonics.org website hosts my Blend Phonics Nationwide Educational Reform Campaign.
Articles of a General Nature Regarding Classroom Instruction
1. The Madeline Hunter Model of Mastery Learning. During my early years in education, I had the privilege of being taught the Madeline Hunter Model of Mastery Learning. I have applied it everyday in the classroom and consider it the secret of much of my success. Every beginning teacher needs to thoroughly understand and master Dr. Hunter's Model if they want to be successful in the classroom.
2. Tools for Teaching by Fred Jones. I highly recommend Dr. Jones' approach to positive classroom instruction and discipline. His ebook is a "must" for every teacher and parent. Here is a brief video of Dr Jones in Action. Here is the 2nd Edition of Tools for Teaching as a free ebook. I highly recommend the 3rd edition, which is only available in Kindle because of the updates including cutting edge information from modern brain research.
3. Effective Lesson Planning. A Brief but helpful article.
4. Slide Presentation of Hunter Lesson Plan Cycle.
5. Short Presentation of Hunter Lesson Cycle.
6. Instructional Theory Into Practice: Excerpts from Madeline Hunter's Enhancing Teaching.
7. Here is another excellent Power Point Presentation of Madeline Hunter's Lesson Cycle.