Experience: I have been an enthusiastic Blumenfeld's Alpha-Phonics teacher since 1993 when a homeschool parent loaned me a copy to review. At the time I was a bilingual resource teacher at the Burnet Elementary School here in Odessa, TX. I quickly experienced complete success with all my students.
Purchase: Blumenfeld's Alpha-Phonics (2005) from Chalcedon Ross House Books, P. O. 158, Vallecito, CA 95251-9989. Price $25.00 plus shipping and handling. 209-736-4365, ext. 12, or just click on the title to order. Phonics for Success (2015) for a somewhat smaller print edition of Blumenfeld’s Alpha-Phoincs.
Samuel L. Blumenfeld Archives. You can read the latest edition of Alpha-Phonics here.
Tutoring: You can contact Mr. Donald L. Potter for testing and tutoring by clicking Contact Me. I can also be reached at the Odessa Christian School, 2000 Doran, Odessa, TX, 432-362-6311.
1. Lesson Plans. These are the Lesson Plans I followed when I taught Alpha-Phonics during the 1999-2000 school year. They are suggestive of what can be done in a regular or bilingual classroom.
4. Blumenfeld's Alpha-Phonics Homework Aid. This is a Word document of the words and sentences in Blumenfeld's Alpha-Phonics that parents and teachers can use to create their own homework. It is a great timesaving aid.
6. Here is an study I wrote, "Concerning the Wisdom of Teaching the Dolch Basic Sight Vocabulary."
7. This study is a companion to #6 above, "Blumenfeld's Alpha-Phonics First Readers with Grade Level Readability Statistics." This study includes all 11 First Readers with statistics that demonstrate the superiority of Mr. Blumenfeld's First Readers over any other readers used by any published program of which we are familiar. The password for printing this study is "Blumenfeld." I published his eleven First Readers on December 14, 2012 with CreateSpace in a single volume format: First Readers Anthology. It is also available in a unique cursive edition: First Readers Anthology: Cursive Edition.
9. Alpha-Phonics Irregular Words. This is a study of the irregular words taught in Alpha-Phonics.
10. Alpha-Phonics Phonograms. This list of Spalding Phonograms that I have used from time to time with Alpha-Phonics. Some may find them valuable, although they are not necessary to teach the program.
11, Alpha-Phonics Cursive Phonogram Cards.
13. Alpha-Phonics Cursive Handwriting Program. This is a printed outline as well as a handwritten examples.
14. How to Tutor. This is a comprehensive source for Alpha-Phonics and How to Tutor.
14. WISE OWL Polysyllables. Blumenfeld Alpha-Phonics is a great program for teaching basic reading skills, but it does not specifically teach students how to decode upper-level multisyllabic word. My WISE OWL Polysyllables is the perfect followup to Blumenfeld’s Alpha-Phonics. It teaches 936 multisyllabic words in a systematic, kid-friendly manner.
Essays and Information on Teaching Reading
by Samuel L. Blumenfeld
1. Can Dyslexia Be Artificially Induced in School? Yes, Says Researcher Edward Miller. In March of 1992, Dr. Samuel Blumenfeld published this breakthrough article on whole-word dyslexia featuring the work of Mr. Edward Miller, the author of The Sight Word Eliminator and the Miller Word Identification Assessment (MWIA). Here is the same article in Spanish. Here Don Potter's 2016 updating of Miller's assessment with 100% Dolch List Words: MWIA-D.
2. In 1993 Mr. Blumenfeld updated his 1992 article "Further Investigation" regarding Mr. Miller's later research.
3. Here is another thought provoking article by Dr. Blumenfeld: "Miscue Analysis: Teaching Normal Children to Read Like Defective Children.
4. In 1975 Mr Blumenfeld spoke at the Reading Reform Foundation Conference on "Twenty Years After Rudolf Flesch: Are the New Basal Reading Programs Doing the Job?"
5. Here is a article Dr. Blumenfeld sent me (6/06/05): How to Cure Dyslexia.
6. I You can read more of Sam's insights from this file: The New Illiterates - Quotes.
7. I have also published Chapter 10 from The New Illiterates: How to Teach Your Preschool Child to Read at Home: A Primer. This is a vitally important document from both theoretical and practical perspectives. I use it often in my tutoring. The phrase "preschool child" is a bit deceptive because it can be used to teach anyone of any age to read and spell well.
8. In March 2009, Mr. Blumenfeld sent me his eye-opening 1988 article,Dyslexia: The Disease You Get in School
9. Here is an important speech Mr. Blumenfeld delivered at the 1974 Reading Reform Foundation Convention: Why America Still Has a Reading Problem.
10. And in 1975 Letter Precision.
11. Here is a recent article (2008) Sam sent me, Why Pictures in Reading Instruction Are Harmful.
12. This may be the most controversial essays Mr. Blumenfeld ever wrote: How Should We Teach Our Children To Write? Cursive First, Print Later! I think it is one of his most important essays.
13. Here is a comparative study of the 1983 Alpha-Phonics and the 1997/2005 Blumenfeld's Alpha-Phonics.
15. Open Letter to Republican Leaders. A plea for Republican Leaders to become involved in a Campaign for Universal Literacy based on a long overdue return to phonic-first reading instruction.
16. Victims of Dick and Jane and Other Essays (2003). This important book is now available from the publisher as a free e-book. Concerning reading programs, Sam writes, "Look-say, like television, permeates the educational marketplace so thoroughly and in so many guises, that it takes expert knowledge to separate the good from the bad, the useful from the harmful." I work everyday tutoring the victims of the look-say/sight-word method (currently under the guise of "Guided-Reading") in my city.
17. Crimes of Educators: How Utopians Are Using Government Schools to Destroy America’s Children by Samuel Blumenfeld and Alex Newman. Published by WDN Books in April of 2015. This book represents the culmination of Mr. Blumenfeld’s years of research into the little-known diabolical influences behind much of modern education. It is a wakeup call, which we hope will be heeded before it is too late. I was privileged to write a review for the book before it was published. Here is a video of Mr. Blumenfeld Reading the “Preface” shortly before he passed away.
18. Edward Miller's Original Explanation of His Theory of Artificially Induced Whole-Word Dyslexia. This document came from Archive Files that Samuel Blumenfeld sent me a few years back. They are of great historical and theoretical value.
19. Here is a copy of Thomas Gallaudet’s Mother Primer. According to Mr. Blumenfeld, this was the first sight word primer. Be sure and read the whole document including the Boston Schoolmasters reply and observations by Miss Geraldine Rodgers.
20. Is Public Education Necessary? This is a blockbuster book written in 1985. I have an earlier 22 pages manuscript that Sam sent to The Atlantic Monthly in Feb. 1974.
21. “Is Public Education Necessary?” This is the Feb. 1974 essay that Mr. Blumenfeld sent to The Atlantic Monthly. I found it in a folder in box of files Sam sent me a few year back. I am publishing it for historical purposes.
22. "Who Killed Excellence?” (1985) by Samuel L. Blumenfeld. One of the best things Mr. Blumenfeld ever wrote.
23. Are Public Schools Harming Your Kids? (1986)
25. Public Education at the Crossroads. This is a draft of an article.
26. Making America Illiterate. This is a lecture by Mr. Blumenfeld on March 10, 2014.
Blumenfeld Alpha-Phonics Instructional Video
Testimony for Blumenfeld's Alpha-Phonics
Paul Lukawski's testimony concerning his years of using Blumenfeld's Alpha-Phonics.
Samuel L. Blumenfeld passed away on June 1, 2015 at 10:30 a.m. EST. I was taking part in a literacy interview will Bill McNally that morning. Sam had been scheduled to do the interview. I was asked to fill in for him since he was gravely ill in the hospital.
Here is Alex Newman presenting the book he coauthored with Mr. Blumenfeld: Crimes of Educators: How Utopians Are Using Government Schools to Destroy American’s Children.
Here is an excellent interview with Alex Newman concerning Crimes of Educators. I hate to admit it, but I agree 100% with Mr. Newman that the sight-word (Dolce-List Sight Word) memorization method is causing reading disabilities among otherwise quite normal students. If you wonder if your child has been harmed by modern reading methods, just give them the Miller Word Identification Assessment. It is was for any parent to give.
Here is a written tribute by William F. Jasper: R.I.P Samuel Blumenfeld: Author, Master Educator, Champion of Freedom.
Robert Sweet’s Sam Blumenfeld - Remembered. Bob is the Founder and President of the National Right to Reading Foundation, which has done much to promote good reading practices in America’s classrooms.
Mr. Donald L. Potter
Blumenfeld's Alpha-Phonics Tutor